The following tips are from the Minneapolis Police 3rd Precinct.
How to prevent burglary:
- Call 911 if you see anything suspicious. Also, talk to your neighbors about suspicious activity.
- Have an active block club.
- Keep all doors locked, even if you are at home.
- Make sure windows are secured, including basement windows.
Increase the odds you’ll get your stuff back:
- If available, record the serial numbers of valuables.
- Take pictures of your belongings, this also can help with fire insurance claims.
If you do get burglarized:
- Call 911 to report it immediately. Let the responding officer know if there is anything that may have been handled or left behind by the burglar.
- Lock your bike! Always. Use a U-Lock and make sure both wheels are locked down. Make sure it is locked to a visible stationary object.
- If your bike is kept in your garage, keep the garage secure and lock your bike (a good idea even if a bike isn’t in the garage).
- Remove bike accessories and items that can be easily stolen like bike seats or bags.
Increase the odds you’ll get your stolen bike back:
- Record the make, model, and serial number of your bike.
- Take a photo of your bike.
If your bike was stolen:
- Call 911 if the theft is in progress or if evidence is left behind.
- Call 311 to make a police report if there is no evidence or you didn’t witness the crime.
- Request a database search of recovered bicycles by contacting Property and Evidence at 612-673-2932 (M-F 8 AM-4:30 PM).